FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE November 11th, 2019
Fair Count’s ‘Faith Day of Action for Census Jobs’ seeks to increase the pool of applicants for 2020 Census Enumerator positions statewide
ATLANTA — Fair Count, in partnership with more than a dozen African Methodist Episcopal Church (A.M.E.) churches across the state are hosting the first ‘Faith Day of Action for Census Jobs’ on Sunday, November 17th to encourage and assist Georgians applying for census jobs in their communities.
“Twenty percent of our state is considered hard to count already, and limited broadband Internet access only further increases the difficulty of getting Georgians counted in 2020. Effective enumerators will be critical for securing accurate counts in those communities,” said Shun Tucker-Allen, Fair Count’s Faith Coordinator. “We’re taking a day to encourage the public to apply because it is imperative that we have people who know these communities inside and out working as enumerators to ensure that everyone has a fair opportunity to be counted.”
Not only will the 2020 Census be conducted online, but applications to work at the Census Bureau need to be completed online as well. This fall, Fair Count worked with 25 A.M.E churches to create publicly accessible Internet offices in areas of the state that lack broadband or that have large numbers of people without regular and affordable access to the Internet. Sixteen of these Internet installations at A.M.E. churches and one baptist church will open their doors from 10 AM to 4 PM on Sunday to encourage their congregations and members of their communities to apply for jobs with the Census Bureau.
Fair Count’s staff and volunteers will be onsite to help those applying for jobs, and can direct any applicant who needs special assistance to the correct resource. With an average national pay of $17.90 per hour and flexible hours, jobs with the Census Bureau can be lucrative and convenient. The positions are open to all workers— including returning citizens and federal retirees who can do census work without it affecting their annuity.
Interested applicants can apply for jobs at the following locations:
- Bainbridge: Nelson Chapel A.M.E. – 640 Hall St Bainbridge, Georgia 39819
- Cairo: Little Bethel A.M.E. – 242 Robert Willis Road Cairo, Georgia 39827
- Cartersville: Saint Luke A.M.E. – 130 Jones St. Cartersville, Georgia 31020
- Claxton: Thomas Grove A.M.E. – 112 North Grady St. Claxton, Georgia 30417
- Davisboro: Mount Zion A.M.E. – 28 N Main St Davisboro, Georgia 31018
- Decatur: Rainbow Park Baptist – 2941 Columbia Dr. Decatur, Georgia 30034
- Donalsonville: Newberry A.M.E. – 5202 Newberry Church Rd. Donalsonville, Georgia 39845
- Fort Gaines: Brown Chapel A.M.E. 175 Church St. Fort Gaines, Georgia 39851
- Glenwood: Saint Paul A.M.E. – 102 Loggers Rd. Glenwood, Georgia 30428
- Hazelhurst: Saint Matthews A.M.E. – 174 St. Matthews Church Rd Hazlehurst, Georgia 31539
- Hazelhurst: Saint James A.M.E. – 35 MLK Blvd. Hazelhurst, Georgia 31539
- Lumpkin: Saint Mark A.M.E. – 567 Cotton St. Lumpkin, Georgia 31815
- Millen: Bethel A.M.E. – 217 Walnut St Millen, Georgia 30442
- Rome: Saint Paul A.M.E. – 106 East 6th Avenue Rome, Georgia 30162
- Thomasville: Saint Mark A.M.E. – 700 Lester Street Thomasville, Georgia 31792
- Uvalda: New Hope A.M.E. – 313 Martin Luther King Dr. Uvalda, Georgia 30473
- Waycross: Greater Mt. Zion A.M.E. – 1085 Ossie Davis Parkway Waycross, Georgia 31501
Applicants should come prepared with their home address, email address, phone number, place of birth, social security number, and, for men, their selective service number.
Those interested in working with the census bureau to collect an accurate count of all residents in 2020 should visit https://2020census.gov/jobs to apply.
About Fair Count Founded by Stacey Abrams in 2019, Fair Count, Inc. is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to partnering with HTC communities to achieve a fair and accurate count of all people in Georgia and the nation in the 2020 Census and to strengthening the pathways to greater civic participation. For more information about Fair Count, visit Faircount.org.
# # #